Moderator: Focus ST Moderators

-
Make: Ford
Model: Focus ST
Type: 225
Year: 2006

Driveshaft pulling out

Postby CapetownSTgirl » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:16 am

I have a problem where the drives haft pop's out of the inner cv. Replaced ball joints as it was shot but to no avail. Another guy at a cv repair shop said it might be the top gearbox mount that's either too stiff or has too much flex.

I have a fully poly'd mount in at the moment and bought a new 1 to fit.

Anybody else experience this and if so what was the cause. It happened accelerating up a slight incline

+
Type: Focus ST
Year: 2008

Re: Driveshaft pulling out

Postby ash » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:47 pm

CapetownSTgirl wrote:I have a problem where the drives haft pop's out of the inner cv. Replaced ball joints as it was shot but to no avail. Another guy at a cv repair shop said it might be the top gearbox mount that's either too stiff or has too much flex.

I have a fully poly'd mount in at the moment and bought a new 1 to fit.

Anybody else experience this and if so what was the cause. It happened accelerating up a slight incline

hi CTSTG , does it pop out the Gbox or out the tripod itself ?
Current: 06 Red Fo ST- GTX3076R
Current: 08 EO Fo ST - Build in Progress
Current: 10 White BMW 330D LCI M-sport

-

Postby CapetownSTgirl » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:02 pm

The drives haft with the tripod pops out of the cv joint

-

Postby CapetownSTgirl » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:05 pm

Found out the bearing shifted a bit out of the hub so I had that pushed back in but it still did it. Then I took off my fully poly top gearbox mount and fitted a oem mount and it seem's to be fine so far

-

Postby CapetownSTgirl » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:59 pm

Ok. So after driving for a while and I started hearing a slight clunking noise from the left wheel I had it checked out and found out the center bolt for the driveshaft/hub was loose. So I had it tightened and the noise was gone but then the driveshaft problem came back. I full locked right to turn into a parking and as I pulled off I heard the driveshaft trying to pull out the cv again. So it's as if the loose bolt helped

So my question is, can the inner cv housing be too short or worn on the sharp edges allowing the tripod to kind of slip in it or does 1 get a inner with a longer housing that the tripod goes in?
Last edited by CapetownSTgirl on Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-

Postby CapetownSTgirl » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:01 pm

Sorry I forgot to mention I knocked the left side wheel in a massive pothole years back. Since then I have been changing parts mostly on that side. Changed everything on the left side except the actual cv joints.

Return to Focus ST Suspension/Mags/Tyres & Brakes