Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Post your Suspension/Mags/Tyres & Brakes modifications or questions here

Moderator: Focus ST Moderators

+
User avatar
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:16 pm
Location: Other side of reason
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST
Year: 2006

Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby Torturer » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:57 am

Hi all,

Need to some help from the collective brains trust here.

Has anyone else had a case that when climbing a curb or going down a curb at an angle, there is a loud thud noise that occurs somewhere on the suspension? Its almost as if something moves out of place, because there after if I go over a bump in the road soon after the initial thud, I get another thud as if whatever moved before went back into place and then no noises happen afterwards.
I have taken the car now 3 times to Ford and they cant seem to find out what causing it. The problem is, the noise only occurs in the morning when the car is completely cold, and I'm leaving my complex. So every time I get to ford, I cant reproduce the noise for them to even hear it (very annoying Murphy's Law is).

Anyone had a similar problem or has some theories.

Thanks.
1975 Ford Cortina 2.5L Big Six
2006 Ford Focus ST225 (RIP: Due to drunk MOFU)

+
User avatar
Posts: 7876
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:25 am
Make: Volvo
Model: S40
Type: T5
Year: 2005

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby Mahomed » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:28 am

What the mileage on the car?

When last was the Control Arms or Top Shock mounts checked?

If those are fine it could be your shocks that are stuffed ;-)
Image
_______________________________________
Current - 2005 Safari Green Pearl Volvo S40 T5

Ex - Performance Blue 2007 Focus ST225 ..... RIP

+
Posts: 5079
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:17 am
Make: Mazda
Model: 2.0 Active
Type: 2.0 Active
Year: 2010

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby MrMazda » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:03 am

When ever I have such intermittent problems or noises that occur in certain conditions like your's when cold I arrange with M&H to leave the car there overnight, ot even for a few days if need be & they usually spot it under the same conditions.
Current: 2010 Mazda 6 Active, 2002 Bantam B3 1300, 2010 Sirion 1.3.
Ex:Mazda 323s X 5 1026 000km & 626s X 3 515 000km & B2200 D/c 4X4 345 000km & Meteor GLi 1.6i 120 000km, BMW 528i X2 44 000 km
Mazda 6 2006 Original 222 000km

+
User avatar
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Krugersdorp
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST PB
Year: 2006

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby radmoodley » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:32 am

Torturer wrote:Hi all,

Need to some help from the collective brains trust here.

Has anyone else had a case that when climbing a curb or going down a curb at an angle, there is a loud thud noise that occurs somewhere on the suspension? Its almost as if something moves out of place, because there after if I go over a bump in the road soon after the initial thud, I get another thud as if whatever moved before went back into place and then no noises happen afterwards.
I have taken the car now 3 times to Ford and they cant seem to find out what causing it. The problem is, the noise only occurs in the morning when the car is completely cold, and I'm leaving my complex. So every time I get to ford, I cant reproduce the noise for them to even hear it (very annoying Murphy's Law is).

Anyone had a similar problem or has some theories.

Thanks.

I have been down this road before, I am still going down that road, lol...On cold or rainy days it does this, a loud "clunk", then nothing...Ford cant find anything (been there 5 times in the last 2 years)...Right now it doesnt do anything...But when its cold, in fact just last winter, it was doing it...So far no harm, no foul, just annoying...

+
User avatar
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:16 pm
Location: Other side of reason
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST
Year: 2006

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby Torturer » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi,

Car has done 150 000km now.
I have been taking the car to M&H, and last time I asked them to strip the whole suspension to check whats what and they said everything looked fine still.
1975 Ford Cortina 2.5L Big Six
2006 Ford Focus ST225 (RIP: Due to drunk MOFU)

+
User avatar
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Krugersdorp
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST PB
Year: 2006

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby radmoodley » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:29 pm

Torturer wrote:Hi,

Car has done 150 000km now.
I have been taking the car to M&H, and last time I asked them to strip the whole suspension to check whats what and they said everything looked fine still.

I have 178 000km so we are in almost the same boat...I had the car since it had 10km on the clock so I think its an inherent issue that effects these cars at this age? I dont know otherwise...

+
User avatar
Posts: 467
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:03 pm
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST
Year: 2006

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby RevoST » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:53 pm

I have the same problem every now and again. Probably once a month.
I ignore it now. :D
Current : 06' Ford Focus ST
Revo Stage 2

Ex : 92' Golf II GTI 2.0 16V
91' Golf II GTI 2.0 8V

It's not how FAST you drive - its how you drive FAST
'ST'

+
User avatar
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:47 am
Make: Ford
Model: Fiesta and focus
Type: ST
Year: 2007

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby speelseun » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:11 am

I had a clunk noise and only after inspecting the cv's as the boots where torn,they told me it needed to be refurbised. Clunk was gone.
2006 Ford Focus ST
-CAI with k&n
-76mm exhaust
-Intercooler
-Revo2
2007 Ford fiesta ST
-supertech pistons
-swr 190 kit
-17 "racing heart concepts

+
User avatar
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:16 pm
Location: Other side of reason
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST
Year: 2006

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby Torturer » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:21 am

Thing is that I get this noise every morning. Also, if one hears anything funny suspected from the suspension, it kinda will make you feel a little nervous about when something is gonna let go catastrophically at the wrong time whilst driving... So I don't want to ignore it if I can help it...

M&H said they stripped the suspension and found nothing wrong. Should I ask them to look at the CV's and the control arm bushes specifically this time, or should I try a different dealership maybe?
1975 Ford Cortina 2.5L Big Six
2006 Ford Focus ST225 (RIP: Due to drunk MOFU)

+
User avatar
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:47 am
Make: Ford
Model: Fiesta and focus
Type: ST
Year: 2007

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby speelseun » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:26 am

Do both,ask them to look for the iner cv.
2006 Ford Focus ST
-CAI with k&n
-76mm exhaust
-Intercooler
-Revo2
2007 Ford fiesta ST
-supertech pistons
-swr 190 kit
-17 "racing heart concepts

+
User avatar
Posts: 7876
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:25 am
Make: Volvo
Model: S40
Type: T5
Year: 2005

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby Mahomed » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:34 am

Saying they looked and actually looking is 2 different things

There is a problem and if they can't find it then i suggest trying someone else.....I still believe this problem reside between Control Arms, Shocks and Top Shock Mounts :smt023

+
User avatar
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Krugersdorp
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST PB
Year: 2006

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby radmoodley » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:13 pm

Mahomed wrote:Saying they looked and actually looking is 2 different things

There is a problem and if they can't find it then i suggest trying someone else.....I still believe this problem reside between Control Arms, Shocks and Top Shock Mounts :smt023

Agreed, a few years back I had problems with top shock mounts, ask around and maybe check with dedicated suspension places...As for me I havent had a single sound this summer, but when it gets cold, I will post here and the noise will be back first thing in the morning

+
User avatar
Posts: 1511
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:12 am
Location: Fourways
Make: BMW
Model: GS 800
Type: Adventure
Year: 2014

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby Drachlan » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:53 pm

Have you had a look at the exhaust mounting brackets. I had a similar issue with the cold car, also suspected the suspension.

Actual problem was that the exhaust rubbers where a bit short after the the cat back (due to where they remounted the bracket) so they forced them into place and during the cold weather the rubbers would contract due to the cold and be under much higher tension and one broke. So as I would come out of the my complex and get off the kerb at an angle the slight sideways movement would allow the bracket to touch the under carriage with a slight thud.

It was extremely hard to find. But its worth a look.

My solution cost R50 at speedy, i bought slighty larger exhaust rubbers and viola it was sorted :-)
Model:BMW
Spec: GS 800 Adventure
Year: 2014
Colour: Red
Mods: -

+
User avatar
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Krugersdorp
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST PB
Year: 2006

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby radmoodley » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:59 pm

Drachlan wrote:Have you had a look at the exhaust mounting brackets. I had a similar issue with the cold car, also suspected the suspension.

Actual problem was that the exhaust rubbers where a bit short after the the cat back (due to where they remounted the bracket) so they forced them into place and during the cold weather the rubbers would contract due to the cold and be under much higher tension and one broke. So as I would come out of the my complex and get off the kerb at an angle the slight sideways movement would allow the bracket to touch the under carriage with a slight thud.

It was extremely hard to find. But its worth a look.

My solution cost R50 at speedy, i bought slighty larger exhaust rubbers and viola it was sorted :-)

Now that I havent considered, will definitely lookinto that! Nice one!

+
User avatar
Posts: 2748
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:54 pm
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST
Year: 2006

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby Carl231 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:51 pm

I had the same problem - standing at about 115000 now - but to be honest I also haven't heard it in ages come to think of it when the magnaflow was fitted and they changed the rubbers it could have been the last time I heard it.
Image

Next

Return to Focus ST Suspension/Mags/Tyres & Brakes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest