Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Post your Suspension/Mags/Tyres & Brakes modifications or questions here

Moderator: Focus ST Moderators

+
User avatar
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Krugersdorp
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST PB
Year: 2006

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby radmoodley » Fri May 03, 2013 1:03 pm

In my case it only makes one loud clunk when its cold and the wheels are turned while going up or down something, surely a broken component will make a noise consistently all the time?

+
User avatar
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:31 pm
Location: Bloemfontein
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST
Year: 2007

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby 1lum1nat1 » Fri May 03, 2013 1:13 pm

radmoodley wrote:In my case it only makes one loud clunk when its cold and the wheels are turned while going up or down something, surely a broken component will make a noise consistently all the time?


Mine does exactly the same thing.

+
User avatar
Posts: 2955
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:22 pm
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST
Year: 2006

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby Scorpion King » Tue May 07, 2013 3:20 pm

1lum1nat1 wrote:
radmoodley wrote:In my case it only makes one loud clunk when its cold and the wheels are turned while going up or down something, surely a broken component will make a noise consistently all the time?


Mine does exactly the same thing.

Mmmmm, mine used to do that because of a ball joint, but its not a klunk, but more of a thud sound, syposing theres a diff between the two sounds.
but mine happened whether the wheel was turned or not, as long as i drove over the bump with a "sober" speed (but not cautiously slow).
Image

+
User avatar
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Krugersdorp
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST PB
Year: 2006

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby radmoodley » Tue May 07, 2013 4:12 pm

Scorpion King wrote:
1lum1nat1 wrote:
radmoodley wrote:In my case it only makes one loud clunk when its cold and the wheels are turned while going up or down something, surely a broken component will make a noise consistently all the time?


Mine does exactly the same thing.

Mmmmm, mine used to do that because of a ball joint, but its not a klunk, but more of a thud sound, syposing theres a diff between the two sounds.
but mine happened whether the wheel was turned or not, as long as i drove over the bump with a "sober" speed (but not cautiously slow).

Bro I really need to investigate the ball joint,you and a few guys have suggested this, but yes mine is only with the wheels turned, but soon I will have plenty of time to fiddle with the car and I will get to the bottom of it. What baffles me is why it only happens when its cold :?

+
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:38 am
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST
Year: 2007

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby Reiro » Tue May 07, 2013 4:52 pm

Let me know when you do know the cause... Mine did that last winter and its starting again now, over a year now with that noise only when very cold.

+
User avatar
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Krugersdorp
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST PB
Year: 2006

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby radmoodley » Tue May 07, 2013 7:08 pm

Reiro wrote:Let me know when you do know the cause... Mine did that last winter and its starting again now, over a year now with that noise only when very cold.

Will do bud, yeah its starting on the cold mornings again...I will keep you posted, mine has been there since 09', lol...

+
User avatar
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:31 pm
Location: Bloemfontein
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST
Year: 2007

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby 1lum1nat1 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:48 pm

Will have mine looked at when the car is up in Jhb at the end of the month, will let you guys know what the outcome is.

+
User avatar
Posts: 2955
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:22 pm
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST
Year: 2006

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby Scorpion King » Wed May 08, 2013 7:20 am

radmoodley wrote:
Scorpion King wrote:
1lum1nat1 wrote:
radmoodley wrote:In my case it only makes one loud clunk when its cold and the wheels are turned while going up or down something, surely a broken component will make a noise consistently all the time?


Mine does exactly the same thing.

Mmmmm, mine used to do that because of a ball joint, but its not a klunk, but more of a thud sound, syposing theres a diff between the two sounds.
but mine happened whether the wheel was turned or not, as long as i drove over the bump with a "sober" speed (but not cautiously slow).

Bro I really need to investigate the ball joint,you and a few guys have suggested this, but yes mine is only with the wheels turned, but soon I will have plenty of time to fiddle with the car and I will get to the bottom of it. What baffles me is why it only happens when its cold :?


well my cabby's going for a full 360 point check next wknd. will hawkeye the ouks when they're busy checking the suspension. any feedback/pics/info i can gather over that time, i will share...and then we can compare notes.

As for the sounds only happening when its cold, have you checked your engine mount under the water bottle? its oil filled and when its warm, the oil and its gases should expand when the engine gets hot, thus filling out the play? in theory i suppose.
Image

+
User avatar
Posts: 287
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:20 am
Location: Edenvale
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST
Year: 2008

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby ShavST » Wed May 08, 2013 8:50 am

mine does the same...the same noise but only wen it's cold...but on mine the sound is coming from the back....

it sort of sounds like when the mountings are gone, but it only happens in the mornings when it's cold, by the time i get to work, it's sharp...
Current: '05 E46 M3
Ex: '08 Pre F/L EO Focus ST - Stage 2
Mr Turbo Intercooler
Full Powerflow Edenvale Zorst
Bottom Mount CAI
SAIC Hot & Cold side pipes
DSCI Software

Ex: '97 Corolla RSi 20v
Ex: '07 Velo 1.6i

+
User avatar
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Krugersdorp
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST PB
Year: 2006

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby radmoodley » Wed May 08, 2013 9:04 am

ShavST wrote:mine does the same...the same noise but only wen it's cold...but on mine the sound is coming from the back....

it sort of sounds like when the mountings are gone, but it only happens in the mornings when it's cold, by the time i get to work, it's sharp...

Now this is exactly it, but on the front for me...Maybe our bushes are worn out and the rubber is less forgiving in the cold? I want to change all my bushes etc with polyurethane ones but I dont know who will fit for me, I would try it myself but if it goes pear shaped then I'm stuffed

+
User avatar
Posts: 1832
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Durban
Make: Ford
Model: Mondeo
Type: ST220
Year: 2005

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby STaX » Wed May 08, 2013 10:21 am

If it is a single, or sometimes 2, clunk/s that you get just shortly after starting to drive...it will be the suspension settling into place. It is common on cars when they start to build mileage, my Mondi has started to do it now(140 000km). If you really wanted to try fix it you could try change the rubber shock mount at the top of the shock. Not expensive but no guarantees.
If it isn't just one and is ongoing then its usually ARB bushes or the smaller ball joints on some of the arms.
2005 Ford Mondeo ST250
Bluefin Remap
Custom VIS Induction
Powerbrake GT Front Discs and Pads

+
User avatar
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:16 pm
Location: Other side of reason
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST
Year: 2006

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby Torturer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:55 pm

After many visits to the M&H dealership, they still could not tell me what is causing this noise. Every time they tell me they went through the whole suspension and found nothing wrong. Then tried another dealership, but they none the better because now its a game of lets guess and replace stuff. They replaced the wheel bearings first. Didn't sort the noise. Next was the shocks and shock mounts. Noise still there. Recently been picking up minor vibrations on the steering wheel around 120km/hr. Took car to TWT for balancing and they said rim buckled. So got rim fixed but vibration still there. The mag guys reckon might be the engine mounts or a ball joint causing the vibration. I am going to be in such a bad mood if its a ball joint that's been causing that noise all this time and the techs at the dealership didn't pick it up after me asking them to check everything on the suspension so many times...
Well car going in Monday, so we will see what they say this time.
1975 Ford Cortina 2.5L Big Six
2006 Ford Focus ST225 (RIP: Due to drunk MOFU)

+
User avatar
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:21 am
Location: Cape Town
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST 225
Year: 2007

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby SerialThrilla » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:10 pm

Torturer wrote:After many visits to the M&H dealership, they still could not tell me what is causing this noise. Every time they tell me they went through the whole suspension and found nothing wrong. Then tried another dealership, but they none the better because now its a game of lets guess and replace stuff. They replaced the wheel bearings first. Didn't sort the noise. Next was the shocks and shock mounts. Noise still there. Recently been picking up minor vibrations on the steering wheel around 120km/hr. Took car to TWT for balancing and they said rim buckled. So got rim fixed but vibration still there. The mag guys reckon might be the engine mounts or a ball joint causing the vibration. I am going to be in such a bad mood if its a ball joint that's been causing that noise all this time and the techs at the dealership didn't pick it up after me asking them to check everything on the suspension so many times...
Well car going in Monday, so we will see what they say this time.



Good luck bru, I just replaced the lower control arm bushes and the noise i get is also still there, actually its much worse... going to take the shocks off tomorrow and have a look.
Image
cooled | mapped | inducted
LIFE BEGINS AT 250KPH

+
User avatar
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Krugersdorp
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST PB
Year: 2006

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby radmoodley » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:23 am

With this recent cold snap, my car is up to its old cold tricks with these strange noises again, I have just had 2 new shocks fitted and its made zero difference, lol...

-
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:13 pm
Location: Bloemfontein
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST
Year: 2007

Re: Suspension Noise When Climbing Curbs

Postby The Virus » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:58 am

Hi Tortuner
I have some advice. I worked at a Ford dealer for 7 years. We had this problem on a few cars at the dealer.
The fix we had helped most of the time. The Focus ST front wheel bearing carrier doesn't have a circlip to keep the bearing in place. Its only pressfit. The fix we had was as per FMCSA to remove bearing hub from carrier, cleaning and aplying a certain Locktite compound (which I will find out) and pressing it back. Worst case is like Ash said is to replace both the carrier and wheel bearing hub!
Hope this will help. :D

PreviousNext

Return to Focus ST Suspension/Mags/Tyres & Brakes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest