Moderator: Focus ST Moderators

-
Make: FORD
Model: FOCUS
Type: ST
Year: 2007

white smoke / steam need advice

Postby Moriaty » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:13 pm

Hello again been posting a lot in these few months but i am on a dead end and got no where to go. Car is making white smoke / steam no idea what it is really out of exhaust but only does this after acceleration and off throttle once i press throttle its gone but seems like it vaperize because it does'nt hang to long in the air . Car is boosting fine doesnt get hot sofar i can tel no water/oil mixing but my water is a browning colour ( think its from radiator rust ).. but as soon as i drive nicely no boosting or axceeding 3500rpm there is no smoke but once i boost or go high revs it smokes/steams and if i shift gears fast there is no smoke/steam aswel it is only when i leave throttle for a sec or 2 then smoke/steam appears. and if i drive the car hard but de-accelarate slowly there is no smoke/steam aswel. been doing so from 4th Dec.

mods.
full 76mm exhaust
Karter induction k&n filter
bigger intercooler
stage 2 celtic software

Current problems on car.
oil filter housing leaking a bit.
car uses a little bit of water not much.

asked a few guys and got alot of diff. responses

1. Turbo seals
2. Valve stem seals
3. OFH making the smoke
4. Headgasket
5. Cracked sleave

i am in secunda area and there is'nt really a place to test for these things accept dealer any info i can use to test and make sure what the main cause are before i go out and waist money on stuff that is'nt really the problem..

Thanks

+
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST170
Year: 2005

Re: white smoke / steam need advice

Postby Momo » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:28 pm

I bought a fiesta with the same problem and they could not find the cause (using as bit of water that is). They pressure tested cooling system. They pressure tested cilinder head twice (hot and cold). They pressure tested subassembly (hot and cold). R29k later I took it back to the dealer for a refund.
HAPPINESS IS A CHOICE, YOUR CHOICE
:-)

Proud owner of:
2005 Focus St170
2008 Focus 1.6 Ambiente
2010 Mazda6 Individual Auto
2010 Mazda2 Individual
2012 Nissan Micra Acenta
2001 BMW K1200RS
1996 BMW F650 Funduro
RX7 AWD RC

+
Make: Ford
Model: Focus ST
Type: Focus ST
Year: 2008

Re: white smoke / steam need advice

Postby ash » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:48 pm

Moriaty wrote:Hello again been posting a lot in these few months but i am on a dead end and got no where to go. Car is making white smoke / steam no idea what it is really out of exhaust but only does this after acceleration and off throttle once i press throttle its gone but seems like it vaperize because it does'nt hang to long in the air . Car is boosting fine doesnt get hot sofar i can tel no water/oil mixing but my water is a browning colour ( think its from radiator rust ).. but as soon as i drive nicely no boosting or axceeding 3500rpm there is no smoke but once i boost or go high revs it smokes/steams and if i shift gears fast there is no smoke/steam aswel it is only when i leave throttle for a sec or 2 then smoke/steam appears. and if i drive the car hard but de-accelarate slowly there is no smoke/steam aswel. been doing so from 4th Dec.

mods.
full 76mm exhaust
Karter induction k&n filter
bigger intercooler
stage 2 celtic software

Current problems on car.
oil filter housing leaking a bit.
car uses a little bit of water not much.

asked a few guys and got alot of diff. responses

1. Turbo seals
2. Valve stem seals
3. OFH making the smoke
4. Headgasket
5. Cracked sleave

i am in secunda area and there is'nt really a place to test for these things accept dealer any info i can use to test and make sure what the main cause are before i go out and waist money on stuff that is'nt really the problem..

Thanks

Looks like you have a cracked sleeve. this is common to the ST225. best thing would be to get the car to JHB to ****. I can assist you with a leakdown test between cylinder as well as a borescope test to see for visible cracks in the cylinder liners.

my number if you need advice or assistance
084 258 3744
08 Fo ST
In 1000 Pieces until further notice

Return to General Focus Tech Talk