Moderator: C21 Dreamscience Dealer

+
Make: Focus ST
Model: Karolina Kurkova
Type: 36-32-36
Year: 2006

Re: Problems with Mod X... UPDATE

Postby leon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:21 pm

lanley v3 wrote:So... Been to Ford. We checked the wastegate cracking pressure. Sitting between 3.5-4psi so its on stock settings completely.

So that's ruled out.

so the list of things we've done.
Replaced maf sensor
Replaced map sensor
Replaced lambda sensor
Replaced throttle body
Changed spark plugs
Changed induction
Ran octane booster
Checked wastegate actuator

I'm getting tired and frustrated. And its not just my car. Others are now doing the same.

Now to point out, if its hardware would it not have the same problem on the other maps.

I've run DSCI and Perf+ and the throttle doesn't close.

I have checked your logs and did some cross graphs and sensitivity analysis and to be honest, I cannot find a reason for hardware to be responsible. Looking at the other log you sent me, it is almost as if the throttle is told to close by the ECU. ModX is an agressive map and I guess that it has built in safeguards to protect drivetrain shock. Now I cannot say since I have not seen the base reference tables, but I supect that some cars have a slightly different interpretation of the same map, I guess. Otherwise ask DS in UK to look at the logs or allow you to upload another ModX map. Sterkte Boet
Hawking's radiation does not boil eggs

ImageImage

+
Make: ford
Model: focus
Type: st225

Postby lanley v3 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:35 pm

Thanks for the reply Leon.

Me and the Ford guru have been through literally everything on the car.
I told him that I have loaded other maps and it doesn't do it. He says that doesn't sound right.

I have compared logs with STock's car and everything looks very similar. Except for the torque spike I'm getting in the beginning as soon as I put foot.

I wish I could speak to DS UK but those okes are clueless and always refer me to Shaun.

I know my car is capable of more power because through the gears its quick and no problem. But if it had to step onto a dyno the throttle will cut/close.

+
Make: Focus ST
Model: Karolina Kurkova
Type: 36-32-36

Postby leon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:02 pm

does it do it under all throttle conditions or WOT only?
Hawking's radiation does not boil eggs

ImageImage

+
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST225
Year: 2008

Postby Dreamscience C21 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:05 am

I have a feeling your compression ration has been effected by the after market spark plugs you have selected, if they increased this ratio you will hit peak torque faster than anticipated and the car will protect itself by closing the throttle.

Also when I am up in Josie I will run through the car to look for anything else, we can also look at making a few changes to the software if required.

Aftermarket Speed Merchant aka KW Dealer

+

Postby lanley v3 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:38 am

Dreamscience C21 wrote:I have a feeling your compression ration has been effected by the after market spark plugs you have selected, if they increased this ratio you will hit peak torque faster than anticipated and the car will protect itself by closing the throttle.

Also when I am up in Josie I will run through the car to look for anything else, we can also look at making a few changes to the software if required.

Thanks for the reply Shaun.
When will you be up in Josie?

Question though, I'm not the only car doing that now??? :?

+
Type: ex.RS Ultimate Green
Year: 2010

Postby Daav - C21 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:46 am

Has the other cars doing the same changed their plugs to RS plugs or are they running stock plugs?
http://www.kwdealer.com.au

http://www.kwdealer.com.au/

+

Postby lanley v3 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:56 am

Daav - C21 wrote:Has the other cars doing the same changed their plugs to RS plugs or are they running stock plugs?

Duifsta said he got the same problem and I"ve never spoken to him before. So I'm pretty sure he is running the OEM RS plugs.

Bloubul is a facelift ST. His logs show his throttle closes from 86% down to 28%. Pretty sure he also has stock plugs.

The RS plugs superceeded the ST plugs awhile back already

+
Make: VW
Model: polo
Type: gti
Year: 2013

Postby Yaghya21 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:01 am

Sounds like you having alot of fun.. stan.. :shock:
Ex 2007 Focus ST 192WKW, Fully Modded
ImageImage
"Live life in the fast lane and watch the broken white line turn into one solid one _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ___________
Then Sniff it up through your exhaust pipe....
Now I need to move over.....

+

Postby lanley v3 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:18 am

RS plugs are 7G9N12405. My car had these already when they serviced the car 2 years back.
ST plugs were 6M5Jxxxxx

+
Make: Freckled
Model: White
Type: Legs
Year: 2011

Postby Frecky_D » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:07 pm

I have stock OEM plugs from Volvo.
I have MODX.

I don't have this issue. I have lag when trying to replicate the problem as Lanley described it (slow down to 2000rpm in 4th and then floor it), but that is short lived.

+

Postby lanley v3 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:29 pm

Frecky_D wrote:I have stock OEM plugs from Volvo.
I have MODX.

I don't have this issue. I have lag when trying to replicate the problem as Lanley described it (slow down to 2000rpm in 4th and then floor it), but that is short lived.

Does it say FoMoCo on it?

I know its not all cars but its happening on some. I'm just trying to get to bottom of it.
Have you logged when you were doing this. Mine feels also like lag till it hits 2500rpm or so then boosts hard.

I know my car very well which is maybe why it might seem new to others and they didn't think of it

+
Make: Freckled
Model: White
Type: Legs
Year: 2011

Postby Frecky_D » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:57 pm

lanley v3 wrote:
Frecky_D wrote:I have stock OEM plugs from Volvo.
I have MODX.

Does it say FoMoCo on it?

I know its not all cars but its happening on some. I'm just trying to get to bottom of it.
Have you logged when you were doing this. Mine feels also like lag till it hits 2500rpm or so then boosts hard.

I know my car very well which is maybe why it might seem new to others and they didn't think of it

All Ford Spark Plugs purchased through Ford actually come from Volvo and just have the FoMoCo sticker on it.

I buy the 2.5 5cyl Turbo plugs through Volvo. They have the same part number as the Ford plugs.

-
Type: ST3

Postby dave_cassidy1 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:25 am

Hi Lanley, did you ever get a fix for this problem?

I am experiencing a similar problem in with my ST, i have replaced the MAF & MAP sensors, boost solenoid and installed a Forge actuator. I had suspected the DS induction kit was causing turbulence until I read your post!!

I was previously running the Mountune 260 core upgrade, and had since added decat, DS induction & the Collins stage 2 330 map (UK) and the problem is still there. With mine, if i let it drop to say 2500rpm, then floor it in 4th, 5th, 6th gear at approx 3k rpm just after the boost peaks, you can hear it drop off the power a bit, it can be felt as a hesitition / flat spot and boost drops approx 0.2 bar on the gauge, then beyond 3.5k rpm it picks up again and is very strong.

Just a little frustrated with it, any help much appreciated. I am running RS plugs btw

Cheers

Dave :?

+
Type: RS
Year: 2010

Postby pistonhead » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:16 am

Lanley / Duifsta it would be nice to hear what the outcome of this was ...
Current: Ford Focus RS - Ultimate Green

Ex: 2006 Pre facelift ST
Ex: 2008 Facelift ST 200KW plus Mod X monster

-
Type: ST3

Postby dave_cassidy1 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:32 am

Any crack mate?

The forge actuator did not solve the issue, but did keep knocking the car into limp mode so took it off. I have also now tried a forge recirc valve to no avail.

Think i'll be going to Collins Perormance for diagnostics / datalogging :-({|=

PreviousNext

Return to C21 Dreamscience Discussion