Make: Ford
Model: Fiesta
Type: ST
Year: 2014

First time buyer advice

Post by Just-ify » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:29 pm

Hi guys!

First time poster here.

I'm in the market for a 2nd hand Fiesta ST as my first hot hatch.

Recent Vehicle history: BMW E36 318i / Fiat Panda (don't ask haha) / VW Polo 1.6 (2007). I still have the Panda and Polo and plan on keeping them.

Full disclosure: I was seriously considering a VW GTI (Mk5 / 2005), since this was always my gold standard affordable performance car which didn't look out of sort in any situation, but after doing my research, there were just too many serious flaws (timing chain tensioners / high pressure fuel pumps etc.) and things to look out for or replace that could seriously destroy your engine to make it a reliable long term choice - for the same reason I'm steering away from something like an E46 M3 / E90 330i. Also, I'm 40, married without children and enjoy driving, but I'm not a track and robot to robot drag kinda guy (no judgement of course :) ).

Need: Something that puts a smile on my face, is safe, is reliable (or much more so that its competition) that doesn't have any known serious mechanical flaws and has available spares that are reasonably priced. The reason I'm steering clear from VW.

From what I've read, that pretty much sums up the ST. :)

I haven't driven one yet and I don't know anyone who owns one, so I'd love some honest feelings about owning an ST and if there is anything I should keep in mind or look out for when doing my shopping for a pre-owned one?

Shaunp
+
Model: Ford
Type: Ford
Year: 1992

Re: First time buyer advice

Post by Shaunp » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:21 pm

They are awesome bru. Try and drive a few. Look for a newer model.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Magic happens.

Just-ify
-
-

Post by Just-ify » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:17 pm

Oh and I should have mentioned - I'm considering a +- 2014 model.

FrozenfiST
+
Type: ST3

Post by FrozenfiST » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:24 pm

Heya, I own a 2014, had it since new and its been a blast and still puts a smile on my face everyday.

That said I must admit running costs and parts are not cheap imho, I had to replace clutch, flywheel, engine mount, battery, water bottel, Brake discs & pads and tires to date, the later is to be expected of coarse. Now the flywheel was the biggest pain, its a dual mass and in my case can only be sourced from Fraud. But I guess compared to german cars it might be considered cheaper?

But for driving pleasure I cant think of anything better for the price
Current: Ford Fiesta ST180
Ex:
Hyundai Accent 1.6 SR
Opel Corsa 1.8 GSi
Opel Astra 1.6i

Deo
-
-
Year: 2015

Post by Deo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:50 pm

FrozenfiST wrote:Heya, I own a 2014, had it since new and its been a blast and still puts a smile on my face everyday.

That said I must admit running costs and parts are not cheap imho, I had to replace clutch, flywheel, engine mount, battery, water bottel, Brake discs & pads and tires to date, the later is to be expected of coarse. Now the flywheel was the biggest pain, its a dual mass and in my case can only be sourced from Fraud. But I guess compared to german cars it might be considered cheaper?

But for driving pleasure I cant think of anything better for the price
Sup FrozenfiST,

That sounds expensive. How much was it and was anything covered under warranty?

I have a 2015 with 45k km. Not sure whether to take a maintainance plan, they're pricy

FrozenfiST
+
Type: ST3

Post by FrozenfiST » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:40 pm

Hey Deo

From what I listed there only the engine mount and water bottle was replaced under warranty, the rest is all seen as "wear and Tear" items. excluding the tires as a maintenance plan will not cover that. It was +- 32k for the lot.

If you track the car or drive spiritedly a lot I would say get the maintenance plan. if not yours would last longer than mine and get buy without :-)
Current: Ford Fiesta ST180
Ex:
Hyundai Accent 1.6 SR
Opel Corsa 1.8 GSi
Opel Astra 1.6i

Return to “General Fiesta ST Discussion”