Moderator: Fiesta ST Moderators

-
Make: Ford
Model: Fiesta
Type: Titanium
Year: 2010

Gearbox oil leaking, any advice?

Postby namzsteve » Wed May 02, 2018 11:12 am

Good day people. I apologies if this has been posted before or posting it in the wrong section.

My vehicle, a 2011 Fiesta 1.6 has developed a leaking gearbox issue. A few months ago I took the vehicle to Ford where they diagnosed the issue and reported that the passenger side drive shaft seal was leaking and needed a replacement to which they recommend both passenger and driver sides be replaced. They charged me just over R3400 for the job, i don't know if they topped up the oil or replaced it completely.

Later that day I took the vehicle for an undercarriage wash, and a few days later I checked to see if the issue was really sorted and I noticed oil still leaking from the drive shaft seal, but with an addition, oil was coming out from what techs say is the gearbox breather pipe.

Before i commit to a gearbox repair or replacement, can anyone point me in a direction as to what could be wrong?
I am extremely scared as I have heard gearboxes are usually an expensive fix.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

+
Model: Ford
Type: Ford
Year: 1992

Re: Gearbox oil leaking, any advice?

Postby Shaunp » Wed May 02, 2018 9:18 pm

Is it leaking or sweating. Sweating from what I hear is normal on these cars. That seal is also a common problem. I think if they put too much oil in after the service it will heat up and escape through the breather pipe. Wipe everything down and keep checking if it gets worse.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Magic happens.

+
Model: Ford
Type: Ford
Year: 1992

Postby Shaunp » Wed May 02, 2018 9:21 pm

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/show ... php?t=7773

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Magic happens.

-
Model: Fiesta
Type: Titanium
Year: 2010

Postby namzsteve » Thu May 03, 2018 10:06 am

Thank you for the response.
Going through the external forum and I running more towards the axle problem but it puzzles me that oil also "weeps" out from the breather. I believe the car takes about 3L in trans fluid, which I put into the transmission by myself after draining it and getting the underside cleaned.
I have wiped everything down a few times but it still does. I have noticed though that the breather weeps a lot especially when it's really hot. I drove the car pretty hard over the weekend, after parking it I came back and saw a small patch which turned out to be trans oil. I'm not sure if it is dry oil over the engine melting off or something.
Back to the axle issue, I remember this actually started last year after replacing my clutch in april, I noticed in July the leaking. Mechanic suggested that the threads on the wheel side of the axle were a bit shot and he took it to a prop shaft place, maybe something could've happened there, who knows.

All this in general just freaks me out.

+
Model: Focus
Type: ST250
Year: 2013

Postby Limitz » Fri May 04, 2018 12:03 pm

Hi there,

I've been having a sweaty gearbox for almost 2years. The situation never escalated and never noticed any oil spills under the car. Each service i just have them wipe it dry.

The seal cost R520 and labour is R6000 since the gearbox needs to be removed to replace seal... So it opted to just wipe it occasionally

Return to General Fiesta ST Tech Talk