-
Make: Ford
Model: Fiesta
Type: ST
Year: 2006

06 ST High Engine Temp Error after standing for days

Post by BagoZA » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Hi All,

Yesterday my ST started behaving oddly, the weirdest part of it all is that the car wasn't behaving oddly at all...

I drove from a roadworthy station (recently bought the car and needed to have new roadworthy test done) car was 100% fine, stopped at a garage, got it filled up. When I wanted to start it again I got the flashing red light, and a High Engine Temperature Error message, after that I got the Engine System Fault error. Exactly like in this video Youtube Video showing errors https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iYZIE121VA, I noticed that the heat gauge had not moved at all and the car was on 90 when I turned it off, I then checked in the test menu and there was no reading for engine temp, just "-------", I also noticed that engine rpm, which usually says 0 was also showing "---------". The 2 DTC codes shown in the test menu are C100 and E510...

I then had the car towed home and tried again later, the car was cold at this stage but still gave the same High Engine Temp error so I left it over night. Got to the car in the morning, put the key in it, no error and started 1st time, I let it get to temp, turned it off and back on, no problem at all, 20 minutes later, took it for a drive around the block, car drives 100%, stopped at home, turned it off, tried to turn it back on and the error is back, wont allow you to start the car.

I then got my hands on a OBD2 scanner, made sure it supports CAN 11 bit 500k, but it doesn't connect to my ecu at all, tested the scanner on another car and worked like a charm. So it appears that either the ECU has died (how likely is this?) or there is some sort of electrical issue and the ECU might not be getting power? I unplugged the ECU just to satisfy my curiosity and even with the ecu unplugged it did exactly the same thing.

My general car knowledge isn't bad but I know squat about these cars... only that they handle amazeballs haha, Any advice on what to check would be much appreciated.

convict 66
+
Make: VW
Model: Scirocco
Type: R
Year: 2013

Re: 06 ST High Engine Temp Error after standing for days

Post by convict 66 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:33 pm

check your earth wire in the passenger side feet area

BagoZA
-
-
Make: Ford
Model: Fiesta
Type: ST
Year: 2006

Re: 06 ST High Engine Temp Error after standing for days

Post by BagoZA » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:36 am

Had a Auto electrician over yesterday, turns out a wire on the Unichip loom was dodgy so he redid it and cars going just fine again. I didn't even know its chipped :shock: :lol: But thanks I'll do this anyway as the car seems to have a weakish earth, lights dimm & revs drop a bit more than I'd expect when turning on electrical stuff in the car

Charlessok
-
-
Make: Quad 4
Model: Impreza WRX
Type: IxTP
Year: 2017

06 ST High Engine Temp Error after standing for days

Post by Charlessok » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:44 pm

Ooohh **** yer.
When you think about the conditions those eletronic components are asked to operate under, its surprising that they last any time at all
L8r
E

Return to “General Fiesta ST Tech Talk”