Moderator: Fiesta ST Moderators

-
Make: Ford
Model: Fiesta
Type: ST
Year: 2013

Align Subframe

Postby Gex » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:27 pm

Have had an issue with my car since I took delivery back in 2013 and eventually gave up trying to get the dealer to fix it and well I guess I gave up on trying to fix it at all.

The problem is that there is much more resistance turning left than right. When taking a corner slow right the steering wheel goes back to center slowly but when turning left it snaps back faster.

In the beginning took the car for alignment at a few different places, had the eps checked among the other supposed checks done by Ford. Steering rack the works.
But the problem never went away, I found quite a few other forums where users had the same issue but could never resolve it, on including replacing the steering rack, until recently where I found to separate counts of guys stating they fixed the issue after aliging the subframe which was out of alignment from factory and after doing that. Recalibrated the eps and did a final wheel alignment.
This finally sounds like fix I've been looking for, so my question is who could I take this too to help align the subframe?
Would I be able to see if it was out just by looking at it?

Site Moderator
Make: Merc
Model: C63
Type: 507Edition

Re: Align Subframe

Postby Stu » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:39 am

first I hear of this. good luck man hope you get it sorted
Polo20vBIGT
Kia Sportage
Rustler Bakkie
507 Edition C63 - The Dragon

-
Make: Ford
Model: Fiesta
Type: ST

Re: Align Subframe

Postby Gex » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:53 pm

Stu wrote:first I hear of this. good luck man hope you get it sorted

Me too, there seem to be a lot of people around the world that have this issue, it only recently that I found someone who I think actually managed to fix it from the below post

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/624-2013-Fiesta-ST-Steering-Problem/page4

Hi everybody, this is my first post and I had exactly the same problem described here. This problem is better know as Steering System Pull/Drift/Wander

Luckly, my problem was FIXED at the dealer. The root cause is a front sub-frame misalignment. What the dealer did, was to re-align the sub-frame, then aligned the tires and finally runned a recalibration of the PSCM (This is part of the EPAS system). And Voila! Just make sure that the supplier applies the proper torque to the studs since mine were losen and the sub-frame suffer a new disalignment.

Please guys let me know if this works for you, I know this problem can be so annoying.

Return to Fiesta ST Suspension/Mags/Tyres & Brakes