+
Make: Volvo
Model: C30
Type: T5
Year: 2007

Re: Focus ST KontrolFreakz project

Postby PoLonY » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:12 am

*Z3R0* wrote:
Carlos87 wrote:Does water meth injection only work on boosted cars?

Is it silly to put it on an N/A car?

I was also going to ask this question.. putting this on a N/A car, how much more power can be expected, if any?

unless your NA is a high compression motor that is highly tuned and likely to ping there is not much gain on a NA motor
07 Volvo C30 T5 met eish

+
Make: Massta
Model: Spiet
Type: 3
Year: 2008

Postby chris323 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:20 am

I am with Cornel on this one. All I see is a front end collision that pops the WMI bottle and bam meth all over the hot motor. I'd rather get a proper fuel cell type bottle and fit it in the boot.
I am just hoping this will be used as a 70% water 30% meth or similar setup to lessen the combustibility of the mix.

Any power figures on the car after the mods?
Current: 2012 Mazda 3 MPS
Ex:
2015 Mazda 2 Hazumi Diesel
2008 Mazda 3 MPS
2007 Fiesta 1.6TDCi 3 door
1988 Mazda 323L 1.3 Carbie

BANNED
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST
Year: 2006

Postby ClemR » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:24 am

chris323 wrote:I am with Cornel on this one. All I see is a front end collision that pops the WMI bottle and bam meth all over the hot motor. I'd rather get a proper fuel cell type bottle and fit it in the boot.
I am just hoping this will be used as a 70% water 30% meth or similar setup to lessen the combustibility of the mix.

I tend to disagree i think the dangers are much higher in the car as if the bottle is in the boot and i fly into you while you stationary at 180km you have a burst bottle with meth spilling everywhere while my moto is lodged into your boot which can end up in an explosion in the passenger cabin, i would prefer the explosion in the engine bay which is isolated from the passenger cabin and a thick firewall inbetween.

Just my 2 cents you also have a pont i guess its just preference
-Celtic Tuned ST
Forged motor and Darton Sleeved block
Garrett GTX3071
Precision wastegate
GFB 2 Controller
[i]275wkw/371whp 451nm @1.3 bar
300wkw/406whp 512nm @ 1.5 bar

304wkw @ 1.5 bar (OB1 dyno)
2015 Golf 7R(Stock)

+
Type: ST170
Year: 2004

Postby *Z3R0* » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:31 am

PoLonY wrote:
*Z3R0* wrote:
Carlos87 wrote:Does water meth injection only work on boosted cars?

Is it silly to put it on an N/A car?

I was also going to ask this question.. putting this on a N/A car, how much more power can be expected, if any?

unless your NA is a high compression motor that is highly tuned and likely to ping there is not much gain on a NA motor

Oh ok shot for the input Polony :D
ImageImage

2004 Ford Focus ST170 Newskool
1987 Ford Sierra 3.0 GLX Oldskool
1974 VW Beetle Rocking a Roofrack

+
Make: Volvo
Model: C30
Type: T5

Postby PoLonY » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:49 am

ClemSt wrote:
chris323 wrote:I am with Cornel on this one. All I see is a front end collision that pops the WMI bottle and bam meth all over the hot motor. I'd rather get a proper fuel cell type bottle and fit it in the boot.

I tend to disagree i think the dangers are much higher in the car as if the bottle is in the boot and i fly into you while you stationary at 180km you have a burst bottle with meth spilling everywhere while my moto is lodged into your boot which can end up in an explosion in the passenger cabin, i would prefer the explosion in the engine bay which is isolated from the passenger cabin and a thick firewall inbetween.

Just my 2 cents you also have a pont i guess its just preference

ST's have a big window washer bottle, I would just use that for convenience

Used my window washer bottle on my Volvo, 5l of wm storage is great :D
07 Volvo C30 T5 met eish

+
Make: Honda
Model: VFR400
Type: custom fighter
Year: 1990

Postby FrankyGTI » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:08 am

Ok, well on my PUG I had the window washer bottle converted in to the meth tank, and then I smacked a t-junction going 170kph, yeah you read right.. lol..

broke my back in four places.

There was nothing left of the tank, completely disintegrated and left meth everywhere.. if your mixture is right, water mixed with meth becomes as harmless as custard...

If WMI was flammable and you did pre-turbo injection, it would ignite through the hot turbo, and you will have flames in your boost pipes, lol, that's why its essential to mix it with water.

Where it is in the engine, in my opinion, is the safest place to be, meth is poisonous, and the last think you want is for it to fall all over your baby in the kiddie seat while some idiot bumps you.

oh and somebody asked me the other day if I have done any strength tests on my strut braces, look above, yes i have, not one of my struts broke, bent or buckled under impact, they snapped off the high tensile steel bolts, and some of them ripped pieces out the chassis, but not one broke.. it's what saved my engine from impact, and why I can still use it.

+

Postby chris323 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:16 am

Yeah thats why I said hope its running mostly water in the mix. Then all is good!
Ex:
2008 Mazda 3 MPS

+
Make: Opel
Model: Astra
Type: OPC

Postby DannyBoyOPC » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:24 am

u can mix it 50/50 and it will still burn
Krutch wrote:Dude, we're all tappets, we drive Fords FFS! :lol:

+

Postby FrankyGTI » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:33 am

chris323 wrote:Yeah thats why I said hope its running mostly water in the mix. Then all is good!

You have to be completely insane to run 100% meth... lol...

this car will be running water only, and a 50/50 meth mix on dyno and race days.

+

Postby FrankyGTI » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:43 am

Look, a WMI system is not for everyone, it's for those serious about power gains and engine protection.

If you are scared of flammable liquids in your car, don't get it then..

oh, and just a reminder, your car runs on a flammable liquid called petrol, in a plastic tank thinner than that meth bottle, through rubber pipes weaker than the hydrolock meth hoses I use.

the chances of the meth igniting under impact is the same as your fuel.

+
Model: Fiesta
Type: ST150

Postby Carlos87 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:03 pm

Ah this sounds cool...So does WMI only work when you squirt some in with a button?

Im assuming on a fiesta ST, you will only gain maybe 1 or 2 BHP with WMI?

Price wise for a WMI kit?
"King-Carlos#87"

2008 Ford Fiesta ST-Stock(81.7wkws), Motrcade CAI/Exhaust De-Cat(89.1wkws-155Nm),Powerflow exhaust-(90.2wkws-159Nm)
Race Bike: 2012 Kawasaki ZX10R-DNA airfilter,2 brothers exhaustsystem(188bhp <- Seriously, its true)

+

Postby chris323 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:00 pm

WMI wont make a difference on a Fezz ST. It's generally used on turbo cars to lower BAT's and also add a bit of octane to the fuel mix. It works wonders on the MPS' with top mounted intercoolers.
Ex:
2008 Mazda 3 MPS

+
Model: Fiesta
Type: ST150

Postby Carlos87 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Ah okay...makes sense then..thanks!
"King-Carlos#87"

2008 Ford Fiesta ST-Stock(81.7wkws), Motrcade CAI/Exhaust De-Cat(89.1wkws-155Nm),Powerflow exhaust-(90.2wkws-159Nm)
Race Bike: 2012 Kawasaki ZX10R-DNA airfilter,2 brothers exhaustsystem(188bhp <- Seriously, its true)

+
Type: ST
Year: 2010

Postby Ruwaidm » Mon May 20, 2013 8:18 am

Wats up guys!
Sorry to bring up this post again but needed some general info about the steel 63mm boost pipes that Franky makes. Whats the difference between the aftermarket alu boost pipes vs. the steel boost pipes that Franky made for this customer?
Does steel not retain more heat than alu or am I wrong? What are most aftermarket boost pipes made from?
Asking cos will be contacting Franky soon to sort mine out.
Shot guys!!
Current: 2010 Focus ST 5 dr - moondust silver

+

Postby FrankyGTI » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:24 am

Ruwaidm wrote:Wats up guys!
Sorry to bring up this post again but needed some general info about the steel 63mm boost pipes that Franky makes. Whats the difference between the aftermarket alu boost pipes vs. the steel boost pipes that Franky made for this customer?
Does steel not retain more heat than alu or am I wrong? What are most aftermarket boost pipes made from?
Asking cos will be contacting Franky soon to sort mine out.
Shot guys!!

Silicon VS Aluminum VS stainless steel has always and forever will be a heated debate.

different tuners will tell you different things.

so the fact is:

lets say your engine bay's ambient temperature sits at 100 degrees, IT DOES NOT matter what you use, aluminum, gold, silver, silicon, stainless, glass, mild steel, they WILL all heat up to the ambient temperature of 100 degrees, FACT!!

The difference comes in when you calculate the time the different materials take to get to that temp, and the time it takes to cool down after you switch the car off.

So now you get the pro's and cons of the different material.

1. Silicon. Silicon is a easy way out for adding in bends, but, silicon is absolutely way out of it's league when it comes to flow, silicon will cause turbulence and slow down airflow. But as we all know silicon is needed in some spots to create some sort of flex, or things will knock, rattle or break. The trick is to use as little as possible and only on straight joins.

2. Aluminum. Tuners like to save costs, and aluminum does just that. Aluminum is light, and the flow out weighs that of silicon. Aluminum also heats up VERY quickly, but also cools down quickly after you switched the car off, and who really cares what happens when you switch the car off, lol.. it's off.. Aluminum also needs to be looked after, if you don't coat it with some sort of paint or ceramic or powder coating, it will look like crap very quickly. Welds on Aluminum is very thick as well and you can never get a seamless link or weld, clean the weld off and it will fall to pieces. Aluminum does work and works well, but you compromise on looks.

3. 304 grade Stainless steel. we now look at the kind of material that world renowned tuners like NISMO, and SRD etc like to use. stainless is UNMATCHED in flow capabilities as it has a mirror finish on the inside, if you get the right welder, your welds are completely seamless on both the inside and out. a lifetime warranty and guarantee can be given on stainless without a worry. stainless looks good and will NEVER corrode, you can wipe the finger prints off it with a cloth and carry on with your life. stainless takes forever to heat up, but also takes a while to cool down when you have parked your car. Stainless also looks good, you can open your engine bay and be proud to show it off.

because stainless has such a smooth and quick flow, when you are pumping air through it, it doesn't have enough time to heat up against a hot pipe.

I myself, coupled with my own experience like to use the stainless, and I doubt I will ever change my mind. the stuff is just amazing in every way.

There is however a few things that belong to aluminum, like a intercooler, because stainless takes longer to cool down, having a stainless intercooler or radiator or even a oil cooler, will just be wasting your time. although you get them in stainless, rather stick to the aluminum.

When you are looking at the worlds strongest nissan skylines and toyota supras, they are all running stainless intakes and boost pipes..

This is just my opinion, shared with many top of the range tuning companies. It is not a MUST in any way, and I'm not saying you must chuck all your boost pipes away and go for stainless, it's just a guideline to the different heat and flow properties on the above three mentioned materials.

PreviousNext

Return to Focus Projects