+
Make: ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST170
Year: 2003

1.4 duratec vs 1.6 duratec

Post by luke skywalker » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:06 am

Hey all

Quick question. Been looking at a 1.6 duratec motor. As a suitable transplant for my figo. The motor will be a long term project due to warrenty.

Will the 1.6 fit?
What will need to be done to get it sifting right?
If the motor is turbo charged will the standard gbox and drive shafts handle it?
Live,Love,Race,Die

TS.170
+
Make: Ford
Model: Fiesta
Type: ST
Year: 2014

Re: 1.4 duratec vs 1.6 duratec

Post by TS.170 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:59 pm

The 1.6 should fit no problem. The Figo is basically the old mk6 Fiesta. Even the 2ltr ST motor and gearbox should fit but a real headache with all the wire loom and everything . Anything is possible if you have the money. As far as I know the 1.4 and 1.6 use the same gearbox.
Molten orange 2014 Fiesta ST
2010 Honda VFR1200 f
Ex 2010 Fiesta Titanium 1.6
Ex Focus ST 225
Ex Focus ST 170

Mclovin
+
Year: 2007

Post by Mclovin » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:29 pm

yep the 1.6 is a bolt in fit,take one out put the other one in,its as simple as that. we have done one of the conversions before. However, the only thing we needed to do was take it to Ford for them to reflash the ECU to load the 1.6 map. we tried swapping the ECU over,but it didnt help because then the immobiliser wasnt recognised. we called Ford and they just needed the code off the 1.6 ECU,charged R400.

Fitting a turbo to that motor will be a bit of a nightmare,theres next to no space between engine and firewall tho. i have heard of people doing it,dont know how tho,never seen pics tho.

MJR Auto Service Centrehttps://www.facebook.com/mjrauto

Drifter
Master of Lame
Make: Fiesta
Model: MK VII ST
Type: 1.6 GTDI
Year: 2013

Post by Drifter » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:54 am

To make space they relocate the battery to the boot, and the turbo goes in its place. Plumbing is a ballache though.
Frozen White MK7 ST
EX Tonic MK6 ST 190

FWD traction? Oh, you mean 3rd gear
Finsport CAI
KontrolFreakz [Custom 76mm full exhaust
Removed to make nano happy
Uprated rear engine mount
Finsport Stage 2

Quintondup
-
-
Type: 97 fkw

Post by Quintondup » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:33 am

McLovin can't one use the 1.4 ecu and run a piggy back! I'm busy with 1.6 conversion aswell! So I have to source a 1.6 Ecu and let Ford do the remapping and Flashing! Otherwise I must buy Dicktator or Spitronics Standalone! This is crap cos I thought fit the motor and service it and start it!!!
Drive it Like the STIG, FEARLESS!!!

Mclovin
+

Post by Mclovin » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:08 pm

Quintondup wrote:McLovin can't one use the 1.4 ecu and run a piggy back! I'm busy with 1.6 conversion aswell! So I have to source a 1.6 Ecu and let Ford do the remapping and Flashing! Otherwise I must buy Dicktator or Spitronics Standalone! This is crap cos I thought fit the motor and service it and start it!!!
Hey Quinton,

You can do the standalone or piggyback route. we werent in the mood for that stuff as the car is a daily runner and the last thing my customer wanted was mapping issues,outragious economy and other problems that most people encounter with those systems.

have you got the facelift or prefacelift fiesta? i can get the ecu code for you from the prefacelift, then ford should just be able to map it. or are you doing this on the Figo? something we discovered later is that the Figo ECU is completely different to the mk6 fiesta, which Ford told us they cant remap as they dont have a map for a 1.6 Figo.

Quintondup
-
-
Type: 97 fkw

Post by Quintondup » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:45 pm

That will be nice! Mine is the Facelifted 1.4 and I do have a Unichip Q+ lying around! So I can use that piggy back for my 1.6 swap! I won't do the swap myself. Thanks for reply
Drive it Like the STIG, FEARLESS!!!

CaldenZ
-
-
Type: Trend
Year: 2004

Post by CaldenZ » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:19 pm

I have a 2004 1.4 duratec fiesta mk6, recently its been giving problems so i scanned it for faults and it said that cylinder 4 was misfiring, i then checked the spark plug and found a lot of coolant in the cylinder, and in my oil. To my knowledge this means that i have a blown gasket or cracked head? ive heard that replacing the head is incredibly expensive, so i was thinking of maybe replacing the engine with a 1.6 Duratec. Mclovin, you say its a direct swop? i wouldnt need to replace anything else like gearbox, radiator, pumps, throttle body, etc? Also how easy is this operation? Im not extreamely experienced in cars, but i really want to learn, any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Stu
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Make: Merc
Model: C63
Type: 507Edition
Year: 2013

Post by Stu » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:54 am

CaldenZ wrote:I have a 2004 1.4 duratec fiesta mk6, recently its been giving problems so i scanned it for faults and it said that cylinder 4 was misfiring, i then checked the spark plug and found a lot of coolant in the cylinder, and in my oil. To my knowledge this means that i have a blown gasket or cracked head? ive heard that replacing the head is incredibly expensive, so i was thinking of maybe replacing the engine with a 1.6 Duratec. Mclovin, you say its a direct swop? i wouldnt need to replace anything else like gearbox, radiator, pumps, throttle body, etc? Also how easy is this operation? Im not extreamely experienced in cars, but i really want to learn, any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
your head gasket is probably just blown - why replace the entire motor?
Polo20vBIGT
Kia Sportage
Rustler Bakkie
507 Edition C63 - The Dragon
Nissan GTR - The Ninja ( on Its way )

Mclovin
+

Post by Mclovin » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:48 pm

this is definitely not a DIY job for the inexperienced enthusiast. You need the intake and throttle body from the 1.6 as well. everything else including the engine mountings stay the same.

You should be able to get away with having the cylinder head reconditioned and replacing the headgasket. If you start looking around for a replacement 1.6 motor you looking at R12-15k second hand. just having your head reconditioned, with the labour of taking the car apart and put back together you looking at under R8k. (just a flying guess adding up the price of parts in my head and a guess at the labour charge)

Have them replace the cambelt, tensioners and waterpump while they are busy.

CaldenZ
-
-
Type: Trend
Year: 2004

Post by CaldenZ » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:19 pm

Well tv2spares.co.za is selling the 1.6 and 1.4 Zetec (which is pretty much the same as the duratec in my understanding?) for R6950, if theyre the same, wouldnt it be a better option to replace the engine with a reconditioned one? Mine is going on 190 000km and starting to give a few hassles. Also i might be able to make a bit of money back selling parts off my old engine, money is an issue because im studying and dont have much work. Thanks for the replies :)

selwyn.royalty
-
-
Type: 3-Door trend
Year: 2006

Post by selwyn.royalty » Thu May 30, 2019 7:05 am

CaldenZ wrote:
Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:19 pm
Well tv2spares.co.za is selling the 1.6 and 1.4 Zetec (which is pretty much the same as the duratec in my understanding?) for R6950, if theyre the same, wouldnt it be a better option to replace the engine with a reconditioned one? Mine is going on 190 000km and starting to give a few hassles. Also i might be able to make a bit of money back selling parts off my old engine, money is an issue because im studying and dont have much work. Thanks for the replies :)
Hi Caldenz, how did you faire with your project? did the conversion work?

Return to “General Ford Tech Talk”