Eon
+
Make: Ford
Model: Bantam
Type: ST90+
Year: 2009

Exhaust Diameter?

Post by Eon » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:18 pm

I want to fit a powerflow exhaust system to my '09 Bantam 1.3i, purely for an improvement in sound, but I have done some research, and saw that if they fit too thick a pipe, there will be a loss in torque. Thicker pipes sound better, but what is the ideal exhaust pipe diameter for my application? I don't want anything too loud though, but if I step on it I want to hear it, and some overrun pop would also be awesome! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance 8)
'09 Ford Bantam 1.3i

K&N Apollo Induction Kit + CAI
266' Cam
SWR Branch
Ported Cylinder Head
Unichip Q
Cowley 50mm Free Flow

EX - '00 BMW E39 M5

Tubi Rumore Exhaust
TNT Branches
Xcede Software
Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers

VinBot
+
Model: Focus
Type: 2.0 Si Sedan

Re: Exhaust Diameter?

Post by VinBot » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:34 pm

I'll measure up my freeflow for you tomorrow. I think the 1.3 and 1.6 Rocams have the same diameter.

VinBot
+
Model: Focus
Type: 2.0 Si Sedan

Post by VinBot » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:31 pm

It's a 50mm pipe from front to back. I went for a subtle system. It sounds much better than standard, but does not drone horribly at hi-way speeds. My system consists of a small tube like silencer thing after the manifold, then a medium sized box in front of the rear axle and a larger back box at the rear.

No idea if any of this is relevant to you, but just to answer your initial question again, it's a 50mm pipe :lol:

leon
+
Make: Focus ST
Model: Karolina Kurkova
Type: 36-32-36
Year: 2006

Post by leon » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:47 pm

VinBot wrote:It's a 50mm pipe from front to back. I went for a subtle system. It sounds much better than standard, but does not drone horribly at hi-way speeds. My system consists of a small tube like silencer thing after the manifold, then a medium sized box in front of the rear axle and a larger back box at the rear.

No idea if any of this is relevant to you, but just to answer your initial question again, it's a 50mm pipe :lol:

I guess for that size engine you could do a 50mm pipe, however I would do a good freeflow box only if sound is your only requirement. Will give some performance and better sound without breaking the bank
Hawking's radiation does not boil eggs

ImageImage

Waheeb
-
-
Model: Bantam
Type: bakkie
Year: 2010

Post by Waheeb » Wed May 11, 2016 11:47 am

I have a 2010 bantam 1.3 and I had a 50mm Powerflow stainless steel system installed with the biggest middle and rear boxes that they had available to fit. Its quiet when idling and has a nice deep sound on accelleration, but not loud. Below 3500 rpm it feels like its a bit slower to rev up, but once you hit 4000 rpm she growls and starts increasing accelleration dramatically.
I've also installed a K&N CAI and a breather filter on the tappet cover. I have not had her on a dyno so I have no idea what kind of power gains/losses was made.

Skywalker
+
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Sonic RS
Type: 1.4 Turbo Beasty
Year: 2015

Post by Skywalker » Wed May 11, 2016 12:33 pm

I have a 50mm viper system with a set of headers on my Chev 1.4 UTE, and it really works well on the little motor. Power wise, I doubt it made a huge difference but the peak torque comes in earlier and holds longer, making it more enjoyable to drive.

DTM
+
Make: Mazda
Model: Premacy
Type: Aircon+ Hooter
Year: 2007

Post by DTM » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:27 am

Yes 50mm would be perfect anything above 57mm your wasting your time and money.

AUDI B7 2.0T DTM

SOLD

Return to “General Ford Tech Talk”