Moderator: Other Ford Moderators

+
Make: Ford
Model: Bantam
Type: ST90+
Year: 2009

Bantam Noisy Lifters

Postby Eon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:02 am

So I have a reprofiled cam with shims in my Bantam. I had it installed while I was running the recommended Shell 15W40 oil, and I was experiencing noisy lifters on idle when the engine is up to temperature. New oil (Castrol Magnatec 10W40) seemed to sort the problem out but only for a few thousand kms.

Now it's almost time to service the bakkie again, but I'm looking for a superior oil that will sort out the lifter noise as it's getting so bad that the attendants at the petrol station are sending me to the diesel pump!

Sorry if I'm sparking an age old oil debate but if oil doesn't sort out the problem, I'm changing the cam back to the SWR1 billet.
'09 Ford Bantam 1.3i

K&N Apollo Induction Kit + CAI
266' Cam
SWR Branch
Ported Cylinder Head
Unichip Q
Cowley 50mm Free Flow

EX - '00 BMW E39 M5

Tubi Rumore Exhaust
TNT Branches
Xcede Software
Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers

+
Make: Focus ST
Model: Karolina Kurkova
Type: 36-32-36
Year: 2006

Re: Bantam Noisy Lifters

Postby leon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:05 pm

You are using a good oil. Are those hydraulic lifters? Anyway, I doubt your problem is related to the oil, maybe pressure, but I would be surprised if Royal Purple or another Synth oil helps with that.
Hawking's radiation does not boil eggs

ImageImage

+

Postby Eon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:35 pm

leon wrote:You are using a good oil. Are those hydraulic lifters? Anyway, I doubt your problem is related to the oil, maybe pressure, but I would be surprised if Royal Purple or another Synth oil helps with that.

Yes, the Rocam uses hydraulic lifters. New oil solves the issue, but only up to a certain stage (initially noise only starts after hard driving, then a few 1000 km later it happens every time the engine gets up to temp) hence why I'm thinking it could be oil related. Maybe the oil gets too 'thin' when hot? It's almost silent when the engine is cold!
'09 Ford Bantam 1.3i

266' Cam
SWR Branch
Ported Cylinder Head
Unichip Q
Cowley 50mm Free Flow

EX - '00 BMW E39 M5

Tubi Rumore Exhaust
TNT Branches
Xcede Software

+
Make: Focus ST
Model: Karolina Kurkova
Type: 36-32-36
Year: 2006

Postby leon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:40 pm

Eon wrote:
leon wrote:You are using a good oil. Are those hydraulic lifters? Anyway, I doubt your problem is related to the oil, maybe pressure, but I would be surprised if Royal Purple or another Synth oil helps with that.

Yes, the Rocam uses hydraulic lifters. New oil solves the issue, but only up to a certain stage (initially noise only starts after hard driving, then a few 1000 km later it happens every time the engine gets up to temp) hence why I'm thinking it could be oil related. Maybe the oil gets too 'thin' when hot? It's almost silent when the engine is cold!

Maybe you are right, but this points to a wear/valve adjustment issue, as using EOM specified oil should not cause this. Hydraulic lifters do not like aggressive cams....They may be noisy on startup but once the oil pressure stabilises they should be quiet.

A good read...http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/201 ... tips1.html
Hawking's radiation does not boil eggs

ImageImage

+

Postby Eon » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:57 am

Received these today. Ordered them from greenmachine.co.za and received excellent service from Wilhelm!

Bakkie is going in for a service on Tuesday. Doing oil change first, see if it helps, if not I will gooi in the additive. If it's still noisy, I'm ordering a new set of lifters.

'09 Ford Bantam 1.3i

266' Cam
SWR Branch
Ported Cylinder Head
Unichip Q
Cowley 50mm Free Flow

EX - '00 BMW E39 M5

Tubi Rumore Exhaust
TNT Branches
Xcede Software

+
Model: Fiesta
Type: MK5
Year: 2000

Postby flouwford » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:36 pm

What cam are you currently running in there now?

+

Postby Eon » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:33 am

Still R64
'09 Ford Bantam 1.3i

266' Cam
SWR Branch
Ported Cylinder Head
Unichip Q
Cowley 50mm Free Flow

EX - '00 BMW E39 M5

Tubi Rumore Exhaust
TNT Branches
Xcede Software

-
Model: Focus
Type: ST
Year: 2008

Postby Revolution » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:18 pm

Yes, this is a problem that can definitely be solved with a decent oil. Getting the right viscosity grade is key here. Also your driving style will have an impact. Look for something with a good VI. The liqui-moly mentioned above is a good choice. From what i make out from the picture it seems to be a semi-synthetic containing, you guessed it, liquid-moly.

Someone mentioned Royal Purple above. Be sure to choose the XPR range if going this route. The other ones, the Royal Purple HPS, etc are not fully synthetic despite the claims and contain up to 50% of group 2 (hydrotreated) oil. Although Royal Purple is a very good product.

Return to General Ford Tech Talk