Focus Check engine light

Moderator: Other Ford Moderators

-
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:53 pm
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: 1.6 VVTI
Year: 2012

Focus Check engine light

Postby Chris18 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:58 pm

Hi All

Had my cats removed on my 2012 Focus 1.6 vvti at the 100k service - were blocked and needed replacement. Opted to have them removed due to the astronomical price of new cats. Now on 167k and engine check light still on since cat removal. Agents have tried but always back on within a day or two. Tried SAC, told me so called cat foolers don`t work on these Fords. Was offered a complete remap (not by Ford), but reluctant to go that route. Other than the CEL remaining on, car seems to run ok and definitely has more power and a mean exhaust note to boot!!

Perhaps know anyone in Cape Town who can help/give advice?

+
User avatar
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:24 pm
Location: Centurion
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: ST225
Year: 2006

Re: Focus Check engine light

Postby gerrieST » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:10 pm

Why don't you just install the cat fooler/mini cat to see for urself that it does'nt work instead of here say? I can't see why it will work on the ST but not on your focus. And they not really expensive at all.

+
User avatar
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:07 am
Make: BMW
Model: 335i
Type: Sedan
Year: 2007

Re: Focus Check engine light

Postby Icemanz » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:16 pm

SAC are a bunch of Moogoos cat fooler will work, had a cat fooler on my ST before SW and worked.
Image

+
User avatar
Posts: 2140
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:34 am
Location: Cape Town
Make: Honda
Model: Civic
Type: 1.6
Year: 1997

Re: Focus Check engine light

Postby Playa25 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:17 pm

Chris18 wrote:Hi All

Had my cats removed on my 2012 Focus 1.6 vvti at the 100k service - were blocked and needed replacement. Opted to have them removed due to the astronomical price of new cats. Now on 167k and engine check light still on since cat removal. Agents have tried but always back on within a day or two. Tried SAC, told me so called cat foolers don`t work on these Fords. Was offered a complete remap (not by Ford), but reluctant to go that route. Other than the CEL remaining on, car seems to run ok and definitely has more power and a mean exhaust note to boot!!

Perhaps know anyone in Cape Town who can help/give advice?


hi, go to powerflow in Bellville 021 9307717, they sell the cat foolers for R450, you can either fit yourself or have them fit it for you...
Current: 1997 Honda Civic 1.6i
EX:2007 Performance Blue Ford Focus ST 5Dr,1995 Nissan 2Lt STi, 2004 Honda CBR600rr, 1995 Honda Prelude 2.2vtec, 1994 Honda Prelude 2.2vtec, 1989 Honda CBR250r, 1984 Sierra Xr6

-
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:53 pm
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: 1.6 VVTI
Year: 2012

Re: Focus Check engine light

Postby Chris18 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:25 am

Many thanks for the info - if the cat foolers work on the St`s then logic tells me they should work on my Ford as well. Will try Powerflow Bellville.

-
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:53 pm
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: 1.6 VVTI
Year: 2012

Re: Focus Check engine light

Postby Chris18 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:40 am

Hi all - just a heads up on this issue. Did go to Powerflow Belville, cat foolers fitted (x 2), worked well for about three weeks - CEL back on again this morning. Looks like this Ford does`nt take well to cat foolers!

+
User avatar
Posts: 5497
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:14 pm
Make: VW
Model: Scirocco
Type: R
Year: 2013

Re: Focus Check engine light

Postby convict 66 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:08 pm

check your wiring maybe one of them came lose

Ek Mod Alles!
User avatar
Posts: 8827
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:32 pm
Location: Centurion
Make: Range Rover
Model: Evoque
Type: Dynamic
Year: 2013

Re: Focus Check engine light

Postby Bloubul7 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:38 pm

Why 2x cat foolers? You only require a fooler on the 2nd sensor as the 1st sensor is Lambda sensor
Playa25 wrote:he did nothing at first but when he side kicks started throwing punches from the side

Image

Current - RR Evoque
2011 Bantam 1.6i
ex - Focus ST
Ford Fiesta
Mazda RX 8
Ford Fiesta ST

-
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:53 pm
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: 1.6 VVTI
Year: 2012

Re: Focus Check engine light

Postby Chris18 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:21 pm

Possible the wiring on one came loose - will ask them to check. Guys at Powerflow showed me the two pipes coming out of the system - apparently need one on each (R1350 for both with installation).

Ek Mod Alles!
User avatar
Posts: 8827
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:32 pm
Location: Centurion
Make: Range Rover
Model: Evoque
Type: Dynamic
Year: 2013

Re: Focus Check engine light

Postby Bloubul7 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:34 pm

Chris18 wrote:Possible the wiring on one came loose - will ask them to check. Guys at Powerflow showed me the two pipes coming out of the system - apparently need one on each (R1350 for both with installation).

I think the garage might not know what they are doing. 99.9% of 4 cylinders only have one catalytic converter. Thus you will only require 1x cat fooler, if they put a cat fooler on the 1st sensor (lamdba sensor) then your light will come on. Please post pictures of both sensors
Playa25 wrote:he did nothing at first but when he side kicks started throwing punches from the side

Image

Current - RR Evoque
2011 Bantam 1.6i
ex - Focus ST
Ford Fiesta
Mazda RX 8
Ford Fiesta ST

+
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:44 pm
Location: Cape Town
Make: Ford
Model: Fusion
Type: 2.0 TDCI
Year: 2015

Re: Focus Check engine light

Postby piranha786 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:10 pm

These focuses don't even want you to swap the bulbs!

+
User avatar
Posts: 1024
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:12 pm
Location: Pretoria (Moot), Gauteng
Make: Ford
Model: Focus
Type: 2.0 Si Sedan
Year: 2009

Re: Focus Check engine light

Postby VinBot » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:55 pm

piranha786 wrote:These focuses don't even want you to swap the bulbs!

Fitted 35w 5000K H7 HIDs to my dad's 2012 TDCi - no issues. Just make sure your kit has CANBUS controllers 8)

+
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:44 pm
Location: Cape Town
Make: Ford
Model: Fusion
Type: 2.0 TDCI
Year: 2015

Re: Focus Check engine light

Postby piranha786 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:20 pm

VinBot wrote:
piranha786 wrote:These focuses don't even want you to swap the bulbs!

Fitted 35w 5000K H7 HIDs to my dad's 2012 TDCi - no issues. Just make sure your kit has CANBUS controllers 8)


I gave up after trying. Resistors and what ever I bought. But my eyes are still fine...

Return to General Ford Tech Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest