+
Make: Ford RS
Model: Golf 7R
Type: Audi TTRS
Year: 2010

Re: HID kit legal?

Postby myswys » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:17 am

Stu wrote:
Carl231 wrote:Please keep us posted on what happens at the testing station, would be good to know

to be honest this will be a waste of your time... :lol: - best bet is to go back to the liscense department say you lost your disk and pay for a new one

Some post offices can also issue it, I was thinking the same thing just get another disc

-
Make: Ford
Model: Fiesta
Type: ST
Year: 2009

Postby byebye » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:20 am

Stu wrote:
Carl231 wrote:Please keep us posted on what happens at the testing station, would be good to know

to be honest this will be a waste of your time... :lol: - best bet is to go back to the liscense department say you lost your disk and pay for a new one

I also thought of doing that. But don't they have the unroadworthy declaration on file and the R750 fine that this cop gave me.
Polo GTI
Polo 1.6
Polo 1.6
Opel Kaddet 200is

Site Moderator
Make: Merc
Model: C63
Type: 507Edition
Year: 2013

Postby Stu » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:23 am

byebye wrote:
Stu wrote:

I also thought of doing that. But don't they have the unroadworthy declaration on file and the R750 fine that this cop gave me.

the likely hood of it being logged by now is slim takes a good few weeks - so the sooner you get the disk the better - zippo they can do then
Polo20vBIGT
Kia Sportage
Rustler Bakkie
507 Edition C63 - The Dragon
Nissan GTR - The Ninja ( on Its way )

+
Model: Focus
Type: ST170
Year: 2004

Postby fuzz123 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:36 am

Stu wrote:
byebye wrote:
Stu wrote:

the likely hood of it being logged by now is slim takes a good few weeks - so the sooner you get the disk the better - zippo they can do then

And what happens to the fine he got handed when the case appears in court?

"ummmm, you can't do nothing cause I still have my disk; my lady, that I got after the fine was given"

:lol: bwhahahahahahahaha!! come on Stu you are not helping the poor oke here...
'09 320D Msport BMW

Ex. Ford Focus ST170 - a Slow one....

+
Make: Audi
Model: 1.8T
Type: A4

Postby r0ckf1re » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:38 am

It would make more sense to also confirm if the lights are illegal. Just getting a new disc is not going to help your cause.
fiST killer V.2

+
Make: ChaarO
Model: 10 Toes
Type: Long nails
Year: 1990

Postby BFORKED » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:40 am

I suppose this was in Durban?
Sony MP3 front loader is illegal there :lol:
SEAT LEON CUPRA (Race Car :shock: )
HONDA CIVIC VTEC (Faster Race Car :smt003 )

Ex:
2011 C63 / 2008 LCupra / 2007 CTR / 2011 Polo 6R / 2008 Astra OPC / 2008 Cupra TDi / 1998 Civic VTEC
1998 Corolla RSi / 1995 Ballade 150 / 1994 Tazz 130 / 1990 Golf 1

Site Moderator

Postby Stu » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:41 am

fuzz123 wrote:
Stu wrote:
byebye wrote:
Stu wrote:

And what happens to the fine he got handed when the case appears in court?

"ummmm, you can't do nothing cause I still have my disk; my lady, that I got after the fine was given"

:lol: bwhahahahahahahaha!! come on Stu you are not helping the poor oke here...

fine ??? what fine :lol:
Polo20vBIGT
Kia Sportage
Rustler Bakkie

+
Year: 2014

Postby zaqwsx15 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:11 pm

HIDs are illegal in normal reflectors regardless of temperature.

they have to be behind xenon projector lenses to be classified as road legal... put it this way, you will never get your roadworthy certificate with aftermarket HIDs fitted to any car that doesn't have xenon projector lights that have been calibrated for their beam pattern to be correct
Cape Town Stock

+
Type: ST F/L
Year: 2008

Postby DWJ » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:45 pm

How sure of you of that? I also heard 6000k is legal... They would have to give every second car a fine if this is the case... Or the people at the shops should at least tell you, like they do when the guys want to buy blue park lights for their interior.
Current: 2008 Focus ST Face lift
Ex: 2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6

+
Type: ST170
Year: 2004

Postby fuzz123 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:38 pm

zaqwsx15 wrote:HIDs are illegal in normal reflectors regardless of temperature.

they have to be behind xenon projector lenses to be classified as road legal... put it this way, you will never get your roadworthy certificate with aftermarket HIDs fitted to any car that doesn't have xenon projector lights that have been calibrated for their beam pattern to be correct

Please point us to the legislation that says this.
'09 320D Msport BMW

Ex. Ford Focus ST170 - a Slow one....

+
Make: Audi
Model: 1.8T
Type: A4

Postby r0ckf1re » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:41 pm

fuzz123 wrote:

Please point us to the legislation that says this.

+juan and Jon and Lee
fiST killer V.2

-
Year: 2009

Postby byebye » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:56 pm

So what you are saying I should just put back the standard lights?
Polo GTI
Polo 1.6
Polo 1.6
Opel Kaddet 200is

+
Year: 2014

Postby zaqwsx15 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:36 pm

no - its a rare occurance that someone gets penalized for "white" HIDs - ive run HID kits for years and years both in projector housings and in normal reflectors.... its very very apparent that HIDs are not meant for normal reflectors.... but "i didnt know it was illegal because theres no direct law governing it"
(see what im doing here? ...declaring ignorance because there are other things the traffic cops should be doing like catching taxis that are falling apart and causing hundreds of deaths per year rather then worry about my headlights that have saved me from potholes and bricks all over the roads)

im not an expert and to my knowledge there is no 1 rule - its how you interpret the collection of rules that govern vehicle and light safety

one thing is for sure. most aftermarket HID kits are not SABS approved - that means its illegal. and even if they are SAB approved, - more rules come into play governing the beam pattern and light scatter

i know of SABS 1046 and 1376

these are only the previews - i cant give u the full docs because its a work account - im using it to indicate that there are criteria to fulfill

http://www.foresightpublications.co.za/ ... 1376-1.pdf
http://www.foresightpublications.co.za/SANS/SANS 1046.pdf (EDIT: copy and paste the whole line, forum doesnt like spaces in a weblink)
http://www.foresightpublications.co.za/ ... 201046.pdf

more previews related to vehicles and our interests

http://www.foresightpublications.co.za/SANS1.html

dont get me wrong...i love HIDs and have always used them...but i know there was always a risk of harassment from the popo no matter even if its a 1% chance they were ever going to choon you about your lights.

u just unlucky man...jammer vir jou
Cape Town Stock

Site Moderator

Postby Stu » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:54 am

Ive been running my HIDs for years without any issues - they actually look dimmer than when I ran the cool blu bulbs
Polo20vBIGT
Kia Sportage
Rustler Bakkie

+
Type: focus
Year: 2008

Postby Buggyroo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:26 am

HID's are illegal...It hasnt got to do with direct national road traffic act...yet, but rather the interpretation of non_SABS approved parts used in vehicles as any part used has to be SABS approved. Besides HIDs not in projector lenses cause ALOT of scatter and glare.

Same principle as running certain aftermarket "upgrades" causing vehicles to be declared unroadworthy...just get projector lamps and your problems are solved, check out the threads on the forum with regard to building projector lenses...
Guide to being a genuine OFC - Hurban Dictionary wrote: Lam : (hadjective/hadverb) 1; To be bored and tired , 2; To be relaxing, 2; Nothing better to do. Synonyms; "Parking off", Dom , Chilling
[/quote]

PreviousNext

Return to Ford Interior/Exterior and Lighting Modifications